Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Android |
Streamed Live on 06 October 2019
n Canada, Election season is in full swing, with the U.S.A. to follow all too shortly. We’re not talking about the specific candidates, or parties, or platforms, but why it’s imperative that people, ALL eligible people, get out and VOTE!
(Joey’s List of what ‘Just One Vote” accomplished)
- 1645 – Gave Oliver Cromwell control of England.
- 1649 – Literally cost King Charles I of England his head. The vote to behead him was 67 AGAINST and 68 FOR.
- 1776 – Gave America the English language instead of German (at least according to folk lore.)
- 1800 – Electoral College met in the respective states to cast their two votes for President. At that time, the U.S. Constitution provided the candidate receiving the most electoral votes would become President and the candidate receiving the second highest number of votes would become Vice President. When the results of the Electoral College votes were opened by both houses of Congress, there was a tie vote for President between Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr. That threw the election of President into the House of Representatives where Thomas Jefferson was elected our third president by a one-vote margin.
- 1845 – Brought Texas into the Union.
- 1875 – Changed France from a monarchy to a republic.
- 1890 – Idaho became a state.
- 1923 – Gave Adolf Hitler leadership of the Nazi Party.
- 1941 – Selective Service Act (the draft) was saved just weeks before Pearl Harbor was attacked.
Posted in: podcast